Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Illnesses we may encounter/address on this trip

Everyone has been asking me about the kinds of illnesses that we may encounter in Mitumba Slum. I've emailed Shadrack about this and today I received his response! Below is a list of everything that he has described as typical illness in Mitumba.

Plus, there's even better news!! Shadrack has worked with a several physicians in Nairobi that may be willing to donate their time, knowledge, experience, and expertise while we're in Mitumba!

PLUS, Shadrack does not expect the orphanage to be 100% complete by the time we arrive so if we're not completely overwhelmed with the medical work, we may be able to assist in completing the brand new orphanage!

But for now, here is a list of all typical symptoms of those seeking medical assistance in Mitumba (Pastor typed this...not me, so I hope our more medically minded understand this better than I do...):
Malaria treated by Fansidar
Typhoid fever treated by Cloramfhenicol, quinolones
Amoeba (metronidazole)
Diarrhoea (shigella, other types) - Cotrimoxazole, Amoxicillin, cefalosporine
measles - """
pneumonia - """
Fungal infections of the skin (clotrimazole-cream)
Worms (albendazole, mebendazole, others)

PS Here is what he had to say about the 230+ pair of brand new shoes we're bringing too:
Please we are glad that you have decided on the right things which are mostly need eg The shoes and the glasses. You are welcome to let the team bring as many shoes as possible!

I can't wait, team...this is gonna be an awesome trip!!

Be blessed!
CP

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Do we need glasses donated? I have a friend who is an Optometrist in town and owns several other optical shops. Maybe I could get his customers to donate their old glasses?

Chad C. Parker said...

Kristi,

that would be great. I think April is working with someone in Minn. to get glasses too. But we'll take as many as we can get!

Keep me posted.

Chad