Thursday, January 8, 2009

Lake Nakuru

Lions, and Tigers and Bears oh my!
We went to a HUGE reserve for animals in their natural environment. We were fortunate enough to see a male lion when we first drove into the park. Not everyone sees one.
To set you up with how this park is setup....There is an electrical fence along the outside so the animals cannot escape. Its just like Jurassic Park, where there are all these wild animals in the park, and there is a compound in the center with even more fencing and protection. People can stay there and camp! (why?, we have not figured that out yet!). The one day we needed our cameras 3 of the batteries had died and that left Chad's and April's camera...which means April gave up and Chad was deemed the photographer b/c his pictures are amazing!!! They can all be postcards, the Dr. sure has a talent and the patience for photography.

The greatest moment yesterday was when we were breaking for lunch. We are in a van that the roof extends from the top, like a convertible of sorts. This is so you can stand during the trip, yet you are still covered. Anyway we arrive at the baboon point. There is a group of people videotaping us. Chad and I waved to the camera and asked each other, why are they taping us?
Here are the seat arrangements in the van:
Peter (our wonderful guide in the front by himself)
Row 1 Jim (by the door) and Kristi
Row 2 Amy and Kim
Row 3 April and Chad

All of a sudden the door opens, Jim proceeds to get out..... Literally .2 seconds later the biggest Baboon jumps, and we mean jumps into the van. Sits there on the seat, and goes through our lunch bag, grabs all of the bananas and our peanut butter. He then runs off. All of this was within 15 seconds. So what are we all thinking you ask???
Let me tell you..
Peter...I told the Mzungus (white people) to shut the door, I am okay up here in the front b/c there are bars separating me from the baboon. I was really hungry!
Jim....HAHAHAHA....I hope Kristi doesn't hate me...
Kristi.....I hate Jim...If I sit here and not move, maybe he won't notice me
Amy.....If I crouch any lower in my seat, I won't be able to get up....She curled into a ball.
Kim....What am going to do if he jumps back here, can I fit through the ceiling without him pulling my leg off?
Chad....holy crap, holy crap, holy crap....
April....wow, that is a huge baboon. I have to study the animal and be an eye witness. Don't blink April, don't blink....I don't want to get rabies....chad and I are trapped back here, I might use chad as my protection...This is funny, its not so bad, this baboon has not looked at me yet!

That was truly how the moment went. None of us screamed, we all just dropped our mouths and laughed incredibly hard. There was a group from Croatia who had gotten their lunch stolen 5 minutes before and they videotaped the whole thing. She zoomed the footage of the baboon from sitting on the bench, going straight for the door, getting our food, sitting there, and running out! It was incredibly hilarious to watch. We asked her to put it on U-Tube when she gets home.

We saw lions, hippos, zebras, water buffalo, wort hogs, antelopes, and so much more. The rhinos were quite impressive. There were so many animals to look for.

We are off to Masai Land today. Please pray for us. We are all battling sickness from: colds, coughs, sore wrists, and stomach problems. Please Keep us in your prayers.
Thanks for following all of us along our journey!
GOYA Medicals.

2 comments:

pparker said...

Glad you had an awesome day! Was that the 9th? Hope so, Happy Birthday Dr. Parker!!! We'll be praying for health!

Unknown said...

So glad to hear that everyone is enjoying themselves - how funny! Our prayers continue - for more sightseeing and fun times, that everyone will be feeling much better each day and for safe travel to Egypt and then back to your loved ones!

Karen Brown