Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Updates from America

I would like to like thank everyone that has been praying for this trip. I was certainly one of the best mission trips I've ever been a part of. Obviously, everyone made it back safely with only small hiccup in Amsterdam (I thought we lost Kristi at the hotel). But other than that everyone has made it back to the US safe and sound.

Here is a quick overview of what happened in Kenya:
- We treated over 300 adults in Mitumba and provided medicine to all in need.
- We treated over 300 children in the school for worms along with a standard checkup and medicine for all in need.
- We provided a brand new pair of shoes for over 250 children in the school. They have never worn a brand new pair of shoes before.
- We left funds to purchase new shoes for the children who needed a shoes size other than what we had available.
- 15 people came into a relationship with Christ throughout the first ever GOYA Medical Clinic.
- At least 1 miracle happened...a child with several third degree burns came to us after falling into a pot of boiling water. The wounds covered about 5% of his body (mostly the left arm)...we took the boy to the hospital and everyone assumed a skin graft would be required...but incredible after only 4 days the wounds almost completely cleared up, the infection is nearly gone, the color is coming back to his arm and he is regaining feeling and movement in his arm. I will load photos later...it was truly unbelievable!
- We helped a recovering alcoholic start her own business to escape her current living situation and setup daily accountability for her so she can continue to know Christ and recover from alcoholism. We will treat the financing as a micro-finance loan that will be able to start other businesses for others in need in Mitumba once 50% of it is paid back.
- We purchased 40 beds for the orphans that will be living in the new orphanage.
- We opened the new orphanage.
- The new two-story dining hall is nearly complete.
- We significantly expanded on a medicine cabinet that was started by an Italian doctor to include enough medicine to treat everyone from the common cold to Malaria and there is about a 6 - 9 month supply of medicine now.
- We also built relationships with he Pharmacist that is giving us medicine at 1/2 price and Dr Elizabeth and Dr. Charles, who are planning to visit Mitumba 3 days a week to treat the students and adults with all of the medicine that we left.


And here a few things just for fun:
- A baboon jumped in our van, sat on the seat next to us and quickly stole a jar of peanut butter and bananas from our lunch stockpile. :)
- We slept in huts made of cow dung and dirt one night in a Maasai village (Chief John's village).
- We watched a Maasai ceremony where a goat was slaughtered to introduce a boy into manhood.
- We went on Safari to Lake Nakuru and saw: Zebra, Lion, Rhino, Giraffe, Warthog, 2 different kinds of monkey, Baboon, Water Buffalo, and a number of other animals. ...awesome!
- Jim saw the Lost Pyramids of Giza in Egypt, while the rest of of got our flight plans rerouted direct to Amsterdam, put up in two 5 star hotels, and received $500 flight vouchers for Northwest Air. Chad, Kim and Amy actually ended up with $800 in flight vouchers because our Bloomington to Detriot flight was rerouted on the way there.

Praise God for an absolutely INCREDIBLE trip! I will do my best to post some photos and videos to the blog soon!

Thanks again for all of your prayers!!

Dr. Chad 'Lamaiyian' Parker

4 comments:

Unknown said...

I don't know about the rest of you, but after waking up and trying to recover from jet lag, I am really really missing Kenya :/ miss you guys!

April said...

I agree with you Amy. I am totally feeling a bit of jet lag, extreme exhaustion, and severely dehydrated. I went straight to the store and bought 18 gatorades. I have only 3 left, that has helped me feel better.
Chad...I am having times during the day when I am having culture shock coming back into society, and it sucks. Can you and I talk about this?
I miss Kenya, and you guys as well, like Amy said. I do not miss squatty potties, or rice! I am protesting the idea of both of them for awhile!

Kim said...

I've had a horrible time getting over jet lag and the culture shock. Church this morning was really hard. I think I like that the culture shock is so hard. It is making me want to change some things in my life that I'm not doing right.
Anyway, I miss you all and Kenya and I look forward to going again!

NML said...

Hello, you have tried to your best. I agree with you and really liked it. Great effort... Keeps it up!!!!